Sunday, December 25, 2011

Guest blog: #4

Name: Alexis Marissa
Favorite Excursion: Konigswinter. The weather was the worst, but I liked the adventure to the dragon fortress. I was let down when there was no dragon there, but the town was very ideal old German and the bathrooms were free: yay.
Favorite Weihnachtsmarkt: This is tough to answer because we saw Bonn so much more than the others. I guess if I had to choose, it would be Bonn. I like the combination of live music, shopping, and delicious smells.
Favorite food: Backfish sandwich with garlic sauce from the Bonn Weihnacht's market
Favorite Dessert: Do our hotel's cookies count? Just kidding. The plain chocolate printen from Aachen.
Favorite German Word: tschus
Biggest Surprise about Germany/Europe: How early everything closes. Most food places (bakeries, butcheries, etc.) close at 6ish.

Final words: I really like the European aspects of Germany. I'm very jealous of their public transportation system. I've told my father many times that it would have been so nice not to always rely on my parents or siblings for a ride, but instead just hop on a bus and go to a friend's house or spend the day in another city via train. Another thing I like is that vendors/store workers don't hover or walk up to you and ask if you need help. It was especially nice since I don't speak the same language as them. I will definitely miss that when I go back home.
*Attached is a picture of me climbing to the dragon in Konigswinter

1 comment:

  1. Nice to read all your thoughtful comments...."Chuess"...It is amazing how old things are. The US seems so young by comparison doesn't it? Public transpotation in the "Social Democracy" is very impressive...too socialist for a lot of Amerika.Anything more to say about Bachfisch...what kind of "Fisch" is it?

    ReplyDelete