I created this blog for my friends and family (but mostly just for myself) to document my study abroad trip to Bonn, Germany from September 2011 to JULY!!!! 2012.
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Auf Wiedersehen Bonn
Well here it is, my last post in Bonn. As you can probably guess, I will definitely be adding to this blog more when I get back, but due to a computer failure it has been complicated to update this. On saturday I will be departing for the green isle to have my last couple of days with my Irish friends, whom i may not see for quite a while. That has been the hardest part about this imminent departure. It feels, in some ways, like the end of high school, saying bye to everyone knowing we wont have anymore hangouts on the hofgarten or late night movie screenings or any other crazy antics we do in Bonn. But what makes it different is that it feels like every person i say bye to is a permanent au revoir. In a lot of ways I feel very isolated to be living in the US after this past year. Europe is one big cacophony of cultures and languages and peoples of which i could never experience in America. By living in Bonn, I have not just felt like i am a resident of Germany, but rather a resident of Europe. Ive never had the feeling that ive experienced in Bonn, as if I am truly in the exact place I should be. I call myself an aviator, or a buckeye, but I daresay that i hold Bonn in higher regard than both of those.
I don't know how adults look back on their lives, if they remember emotions or particular events as changing points of their lives, but i have lived this entire year knowing it is one that is completely life changing. I could have never hoped for a more perfect year. I know this blog is a cheesy one, but I guess i am a cheesy person, and just for the record not one sentence is an exaggeration. I will probably tell you this a million times but i just want to tell mom and dad how thankful i am that i was able to do this, i wouldn't change it for any other university experience.
I don't know when I will get to come back to Europe, but i can only hope its soon. I'd like to think of this year, not as the best year of my life because that would be too depressing to think, but rather the beginning of the big adventure that is my adult life.
Thanks everyone for reading this and stay tuned for the next month because there will be additions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To 'the gift that Santa gave to all of us'
ReplyDeleteAs an understatement, we're glad the experience exceeded your expectations.
Mom and Dad