This week is the first week of classes, so I have been having a unique experience trying to figure everything out. Monday I worked with a German Kindergarten (ages 3-5) who are learning English. It was really funny to me, because it seems as if they didn't even realize when they were speaking English and when they were speaking German. They would speak to me in Germenglish, which was quite adorable. I was supposed to do an internship for the whole semester with this school, however I would have to drop a lot of my classes, which I don't think is worthwhile. Tuesday I went to the movies and saw Maennerherzen. It was quite hilarious, and I understood the whole movie perfectly fine. If anyone wants to see the trailer it is here:
We got there a bit early, so no one was in the theaters so I took a picture of everyone because I know that Mom wants to see more pictures in these blogs of other people.
Yesterday I had my first class on German economics, and I thought it was funny that I was the only non-asian in the classroom. It was raining all yesterday and my professor told us that we should be happy because the rain is good for the grapes which is good for the wine industry which is good for the German economy. Today I had my first international relations class, and apart from me being in the back and construction going on directly outside, it was not too hard to comprehend. He talked a lot about theories of international relations (realism, liberalism, neorealism, etc...) which I have learned in literally every international relations classes I have ever taken, so the concepts were not too hard for me to grasp.
Yesterday I was invited to a potluck at one of the German student's houses. We were instructed to bring something from our mother country, so I brought Mac n Cheese, the most American thing I could think of. Most people were actually really excited to try it because they had never eaten it. On of the Germans was telling me that some fast food places try to sell mac and cheese every so often, but it always fails because people dont see the point in paying for (as he called it) cheesy noodles.
We ate sandwiches from Norway with brown cheese and marmalade on it, then pflammkuchen (with onions and prosciutto), and a salad, then meatballs, then this soup from Poland made out of beets, and then a spring-roll-ish dish with meat inside, then irish soda bread, then Mac and Cheese, and eggplant parmesan. Then from Finland someone made a blueberry pie and from Italy someone made a chocolate cake (it was someone's birthday). It was really fun trying food from all over the world. (lamest ending sentence of a blog yet, but I have a class in a little so live with it)
Your German friend needs to know that fast food m&c is nothing like America's favorite homemade comfort food - cheesy noodles!
ReplyDeleteNice to hear about your days again. You are obviously settling in to a very involving life. Looks like a nice group of international students you are with. Wie nennt man "Potluck" auf Deutsch? It is interesting that children don't distinguish one language from another. I've had similar experiences with a spanish speaking Kind. Alles gut fuer dich.
ReplyDeleteChristen, interestlying enough, here in California rain is bad or the grapes. We typically get no rain from June through hopefully harvest (harvest is late this year). The recent rains have poorly affected the harvest with a lot of rot for some of the varietals. So rain isn't so good here at this time of year. We like no rain...obviously different for D-land.
ReplyDeleteEs ist das Potluck auf deutsch, another borrowed word i think
ReplyDeleteSelbstverstandlich!
ReplyDelete