Today I woke up to hear the ringing of church bells, and a sound Im not used to yet in Bonn: shovel
scraping the floor. Yes, snow has come to Bonn, not very much I will add, but snow all the same. Not enough to prevent an important flight from landing tomorrow (knock on wood), so it is kind of exciting for the international community of Bonn. Lots of Facebook statuses "First snow ever" etc... people wanting to make snowmen (dont think they know it needs to snow more). Didn't think the first snow would be as exciting as it was, but it has inspired me to do a little Christmas blog pre family arrival.
So I am assuming that every knows what the Christmas markets here are, but in case not I'll explain. The whole center of Bonn right now is decked to the max in Christmas decorations and filled with stalls selling food or homemade crafts or rides for children or.... gluehwein (more later).
Here is an example from Muensterplatz. It is impossible to go through the city at all right now without being slammed with Christmas cheer. Last night I heard Minuet in G Minor (Suzuki coming back to all of us) pouring from the tower of the Muenster Cathedral by a small band being illuminated in yellow. The big hub-bub of the Weinachtsmarkt is the Gluehwein, which is really strong mulled wine that they make in different flavors here. It makes the whole town smell like cinnamon and Christmas.
The other Wednesday, to get in the Christmas spirit, me and my friends had a little wacky-tacky-christmas gathering to get in the Christmas mood. We watched A Charlie Brown's Christmas and made Gluehwein and ate Christmas cookies, here are some of the... interesting choices in wacy tacky
you can see lipstick on my cheek because I got mistletoed =O
Yesterday I went ice skating with the irish crew on the museums meile
Put us into the Christmas spirit even more! And in stereotypical German fashion, they had a bar on the ice rink ;)
Tonight someone organized a little Christmas dinner for the dorm with chicken and potatoes and everything delicious (which surprisingly enough for me actually includes sauerkraut, which I have had pounds and pounds of since coming to Germany, who would have thought?). But anyways I am excited to celebrate Christmas with my Bonn family once again before I have the chance to celebrate it with my real one.

A festive festival...glad Angela is happy too
ReplyDeleteThose Germans sure know how to get into the Christmas spirit! Hope the Blue Ash Corcorans have made it there safely.
ReplyDelete