Today we went to Drachenfels, which is a little ruined fort on the top of a steep hill that overlooks the Rhein and neighboring cities. It is a mythical story in this area, that a knight had to kill a dragon that guarded this fort in order to protect his village. So here is a snapshot of my climb to the top:
Bottom of the mountain on the Rhein, this was probably one of the most beautiful days here!
Here we all are, this was after the first major hill.... getting closer
See this building (may have to enlarge it), This was the US Embassy when Bonn was still the capital.... not too shabby eh?
Another view of the embassy, actually it is now a Hotel that Bill Clinton stays in when he visits Bonn
The Rhein countryside, wie schoen?
This is Drachen Schloss (dragon palace) and it is about half way up the mountain
Made it to the top!!
I'm falling!!! I need some chicken chunks!
I got the whole world, in my hands
Me conquering the dragon!
Sun is setting.....
Back down the mountain, this is Drachen Schloss
....and again from another angle.
The hike was long, but totally worth it! The whole afternoon was so pretty. After we got to the bottom, we stayed in this little city, which is known for growing grapes and brewing wine. Right now it is in season for something called Federweisser, which is a by-product of brewing wine. So we all tried some of it and it is like really sweet wine that tastes like it doesnt have any alcohol in it. The said it is only going to be in season for a little longer. After this, I went back to Bonn via the U-Bahn and ate at a cafe with 5 other people. We talked about politics, and the 2 polish girls talked about their President's death a year and some change ago. It is weird because they were talking about exactly where they were and describing how scared they were because they thought there would be a terrorist attack. It is strange because I remember exactly where I was as well when I heard the Polish president died. I remember reading it on my phone and then telling it to the person next to me, who replied "who cares." Its so strange to have this memory as these two girls are talking to me. Also people were asking me about American politics and asking if I think Obama will be reelected. "Isnt there some politician from Alaska who is favorable" one of them asked.... I thought this was funny. When we got out of the cafe at 10pm, there were fireworks going off! (For who else but Beethoven) It was a great way to end a great afternoon
Schoenes Fotos...great to see your trip up to the Drachenfels. Viel Spass.... Wo ist denn der Fussball in deinem Leben? Gibt es einer da in Deutschland?
ReplyDelete