Wednesday, September 21, 2011

googlen, googelt, gegoogelt

My vast array of social observations about the differences between the cultures is becoming less interesting, so my blogs may begin to become a little less frequent. Over the past two days I have had classes nonstop (not literally but the days have felt so long!). It is so tiresome to have to think in German all day long and then have to take your work home with you, so to speak. It is way more tiring than I expected. Also there is some sort of sickness that is plaguing the international students. People are dropping like flies, and there are some people who have had to go to the doctors. scary. So today I am just posting a casual blog with not much to say.

Things I have not gotten used to:
-Addressing older people with formal pronouns and verbs
-having church bells ringing ALLL the time
-Seeing older people and knowing that when they were growing up, it was Nazi Germany
-hand washing my clothes =P
-Saving all of my bottles to recycle for money
-people WANTING to go to McDonalds
-Girls here always wear eye shadow
-Public bathrooms are few and far between

Things about Germany I love
-There is always some community event going on
-Public transportation
-Everyone is so friendly
-People are very political here, and like to have perhaps controversial discussions
-Mom and Pop places thrive here
-There are so many people speaking any language at any time
-The food is delicious
-Downtown is full of people at all times of the day
-Everyone here is so happy

Every Tuesday and Thursday we have a coffee hour at the International Office, so yesterday I was talking to someone and we were laughing over the "germanized" american words that have slipped their way into the German language. For example: googlen, skypen, chillen, chillaxen, etc.... and the past tense of google would be googelt, and perfect form would be gegoogelt. Its just funny to think about the mixing of languages.

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoy all your posts. As time goes on you will get more and more involved with your life there and the posts will be less frequent....that's a given. So enjoy and post when you can. We're hear listening and sending love and support.
    VJC

    ReplyDelete