Today was our first proper German class. We are in small classes with 11 people, and I am the only American/English speaker in my class. The professor is very nice, but in Germany there is much more of a separation between Teachers and Students. When we were being split up into our groups, there were people still coming the the lecture hall at 5 past, and the German professor was very mad and he made an announcement that this was not acceptable. Also the class was split into two parts with a Kaffee Pause, which apparently is the tradition here. Everyone got a coffee. We mostly did discussions in class and she said that I say "fuer" a lot, which is very american, and i need to say "um zu" more. For example "Man benutzt eine Birne, um zu einer Tischlampe leuchten." Other than that, I found the grammar lesson very philosophical, and not exactly what I would have expected. Afterwords, I went to the Stadthaus to give my Anmeldung for residency here. I am proud that I got through it fine in German. Then me and a friend went to a Cafe for lunch. I got ein stiles Wasser, and it came out in a fancy bottle, but it tasted rather weird I thought. Maybe I am not used to good water, but it tasted very unfamiliar. I got a pizza. The pizza in Germany is very good, but you must eat the entire pizza with a knife and fork which is unusual for me. After doing some homework and taking a nap, I went back downtown for Oktoberfest Bonn. It was very fun, but all of the rides were very expensive so I did not partake in most, but a lot of people who came were doing the same thing so I didnt feel left out. A lot of the beer there was freshly brewed in the area. Also many people were sporting their Dirndl and Lederhosen, but I was too afraid to ask any of them to take a picture with me. I ate very good currywurst and pommes, which made me feel very german (One of the Bonn students asked me what I wanted to eat and I said "Etwas Deutsch" so I succeeded). The germans love American culture so many of the rides were American themed. It was very interesting to see "Hollywood" or "Kentucky Derby" and hear Rhianna's newest song with people singing their best interpretation of what she is saying.
Fashion: Okay so this can be for Alexis or whoever wants to know. Alexis had said that Europeans tend to dress up nicely to everything and I will address that here. Germans will wear skinny jeans, but then almost always they will wear a practical (a typical word to describe Germans) shoe. Also they dont seem to want to flatter their body like Americans do. Everything they wear seems to be very large and square, rather than fitted. All clothes are much more expensive, and people keep telling me that we are lucky to be able to buy clothes so cheaply. Alles Gut
Currywurst...sounds like east meets west. "Birne"...pear?! Guess they are using fruit to light up to save energy...how green! You'll get used to using a knife and fork...knife in the right hand and fork in the left even eating pizza. (Psst..you can pick up the crust at the end)Very interesting to hear your story. I lookk forward to more. Viel Spass! Vince
ReplyDelete