Today was a beautiful day in Bonn. Everyone keeps making fun of the fact that the weather is changing every hour. Yesterday it was storming, today it was beautiful and hot, then in the evening it looked as if it was going to storm again and got colder. I had class this morning, which I am continuing to enjoy. Afterwords, a bunch of people from my class and I went to the Mensa to eat. It is very cheap there, and very delicious. I ate a schnitzel and tofu salad with potatoes. The schnitzel was very good, one of the best I have ever had. I was with some other students from other speaking groups and I thought it was funny because people didnt know I was from America. Someone said that I look very polish, and they assumed that is where I was from. I found this to be very funny and interesting (and maybe even a bit flattering). After that I went to the International Office to drop off a paper and it was directly in front of Poppelsdorfer Schloss (as seen above). It was too pretty to not take pictures.
Maybe you can see in the picture below that all of the trees that line the sides are Buckeye trees (by the way, this is not the University, it is a different palace in the city)
After that I went to the store with my roommate, who is from Portugal (Bruna) and I helped her make rice for her first time. Then we went together back downtown to go on a Bar crawl, which was supposed to be only for ERAUSMUS students (students from Europe) but a couple of us Americans tagged along. It was very fun to be able to talk with people in German for an expended period of time in a light setting. The Americans and the British students thought I have a very southern accent (when I speak in English) which I thought was very different since I don't think I do at all. Then I was trying to explain to the European students what a southern accent was (wie George Bush), so that was comical for me. I am always amazed at how nice everyone is here. Its really different than I had expected, but in a very good way.
"Johannisbeeren"-----currents. So these are fresh currents that probably taste just like grapes. We just never see fresh currents in the States. When I was in Germany, I met a German guy who studied in Texas...he had George Bush's accent...?! VJC
ReplyDeleteThe tour photo's are appreciated - except for Claire's ;)
ReplyDelete^I tried the Johannisbeerin today and they are very good. The come from the black forest apparently and are seasonal.
ReplyDeleteDid you get a couple of new Naseringen? How interesting that the brand is "Claire's". Is that brand of jewelry in the States? Same spelling as Grandma Claire.
ReplyDeleteYeah it is in the US, it is like the cheap jewelry stores in the malls. It is where I got my ears pierced. It is something that all American girls would go to, but they dont sell nose rings in America because it is more for younger girls, that is why I think it is funny that they do have them here
ReplyDelete