Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Long Dienstag

Today was a long day. I was in class the whole day it felt like. I can feel myself becoming more fluent in German, it is cool because it is not longer takes as long to form sentences when I am speaking. Our teacher is very cool because she really explains words. Like man means hand in latin, and so that is what manipulatieren comes from and other words, it is a really helpful way of teaching. She was also telling us that the word for tour guide is Fuhrer(in), but it is not really appropriate to call yourself a Fuhrer, however it is perfectly fine to be called a Fuhrerin for a girl. I thought this was very interesting that it is okay for women to keep this title. After my first class ended today, I went to the Mensa with my some classmates again. There I had a spring roll, which is much larger than ours in America, and I also had sweet and sour sauce on it, which is much more sour in Germany than in America. Afterwords, I had to take a literature class, and it was very very boring. It could not have ended sooner. At the end of the day, we had a German buffet with our Bonn buddies. It was one of the best nights I have had here yet. I spoke the entire night with the Germans and we had to do little activities the whole time. We also got beer and German food to eat. Me and Katharina had a very good time I think. Also, shoutout to Gizem, who is the best beer distributor ever ;P Afterwords, we went to a smaller pub, where I met more Germans and talked about the difference between the education systems. Everyone in Europe thinks it is really weird that we cant study Medicine or Law in undergrad. Also they apply to a department and not really the whole University like we do.


*no pics today, sorry, Ill try more tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. If I am correctly recalling the history of higher education, the system/structure of academic departments started in Germany and the American system copied it.

    ReplyDelete