(Above is a picture of the view from the top of my apartment.... I decided to explore the top of the building today, and I think the view was very rewarding. Bonn city center is to the right of this picture)
Today I finally felt like I was completely on German time. I woke up, once again, with the 7 o'clock church bells (the culprit can be seen in the picture above on the left). Overall it was a very pleasant day. Morning was filled up with classes, which is really a shame because the mornings are the most beautiful time of the day here. The work that we have to do for classes is different than American classes on several accounts. As I said before, there is a much bigger separation between student and teacher. Also, it seems like there is way more "busy work" here than I have ever gotten at OSU. Last night I pretty much had to write the same sentence 15 times, merely changing the Nouns and Adjectives of the sentence. This being said, I think this relationship is very standard for Europe. Everyone seems to dress up fairly nicely to class. My roommate, Bruna, is also in my class and wore heals and a skirt to class today. She and I were leaving at the end to go to the Mensa and our professor came over to us and said to Bruna "You know you have a rip in your tights." Bruna absolutely was appalled and was so embarrassed. I was actually very amused by this because I could never imagine a Professor in the USA commenting negatively on someone's clothes. Bruna was contemplating the whole way to the Mensa whether or not she should just go home and change because she was so mortified, however we have classes in the afternoon on Tuesdays and Thursdays so she had no time. For lunch I had a steak and noodles. I forget if I have discussed this in a previous blog or not, but in the cafeteria, there is a vending machine... but it is not actually a vending machine, in fact it is the exact opposite. After you are done with you drink (water, coke, mezzo mix, etc...) you put your empty bottle inside of it and it takes it and gives you money back. I have never heard of anything like this before. After this, I went to a Kaffeestunde in the International Office. It was my first time having german coffee, and even though I mostly put milk in mine, it was pretty delicious. Straight from here I went to the Hauptgebaeude, which is the palace, where my afternoon literature class is.
After class I took a picture from the window (as seen above). It was actually pretty distracting, because the room gets too hot unless you keep the windows open, but it is so busy in the streets below that there was people talking and cars honking the entire time. It makes it hard to concentrate on German literature. Next I walked around, so we are about to commence a rapid picture sequence:
I think it is strange that the only privatized thing in Germany (pretty much) is the post office (DHL), which is one of the only government run programs in America!
Germans love American TV...
Some of their favorites (that I have heard) are How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy, and Simpsons
This church is on one of the main platz(es) of the city, I think it is quite pretty, but apparently it is very easy to tell you are an American tourist if you take a picture of this, because it isnt very noteworthy besides its age.
...and here is a slice of America...(pun, get it? pretty good right?)
I wonder if there will be much less "busy work" when your academic classes start?!
ReplyDelete...B had tiramisu on his b-day
After the really delicious pizza you had at a real restaurant, why would anyone go to the Pizza Hut for that tasteless Dreck? But nice pun anyway.... The berries look great on the cake....yumm
ReplyDelete