I decided to go into the city center today, even though I knew almost everything would be closed. There was a gathering for some sort of sister-city performance. There was a small band (all of the girls were wearing Dirndls so that was a sight to see) and there were also these performers. As a key part of the stereotypical German culture, I thought I would put my video skills to the test again. There was, once again, lots of food. I had another Bratwurst :)
Okay so one thing that I've noticed is that everyone here smokes. People are actually surprised to find out when I do not smoke. These little vending machines above are basically at every bus stop. It is not uncommon to see hordes of people smoking, and actually choosing a seat outside at a cafe just to smoke.
Mom wanted to know today if there are Starbucks, and I have found at least 2 withing a 4 min walking distance (at least). Since it is one of the only things opened today I decided to try a Creme Brulee Macchiato, but I was surprised at how expensive it is. I got a tall and it was still over 4 Euros, so I think I will be sticking to the mom and pop places in the future. But mom will be happy to know that they have different flavors of the dessert pops than in the USA. I also noted that if you get your beverage to stay, they give you an actual mug rather than the paper cup. Another aspect of "glocalization"
Here is city hall, I have nothing very noteworthy to say about it, other than it looks very stately. Just thought it might be interesting to add.
My book on German culture lied about not being able to find Mexican food here, after two weeks I found a spot.
Funny bread man
Cincinnati was celebrating "Octoberfest Zinzinnati" - it didn't look like the video. Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut (of hot dog fame) won the brat eating contest.
ReplyDeleteJust letting you know... the funny bread man photo made my day
ReplyDelete